Migrant workers

We have advice and tools to help you in your language.

On this page:

Language tools

Translated resources

We have information and services in over 30 languages to help you understand the rights of employees working in Australia and the obligations of growers.

You can read information and watch videos in your language on our Language help pages.

Newly translated piecework information

Website translator

You can read the information on our website in your language. Choose your language from the menu at the top of the page to translate the information. Translation is not available for some pages.

Translating & Interpreting Service

If you need to talk to someone, you can speak to us in your language. Call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450. Tell the operator the language you speak and ask the operator to telephone us on 13 13 94.

Back to top

Workplace rights

Migrant workers in Australia have the same entitlements and protections under the Fair Work Act as other employees. Learn more at Visa holders and migrant workers.

An employer can’t cancel an employee’s visa, even if the employee has breached their visa conditions. Only the Department of Home Affairs (Home Affairs) can grant, refuse or cancel visas.

An employer can’t fire an employee or cut their shifts – or punish them in other ways – because they made a complaint or asked questions about their work. An employee also can’t be fired for contacting us.

For workers: if you are experiencing workplace problems, go to our Getting help page.

Back to top

Protection for temporary visa holders – the Assurance Protocol

We encourage temporary visa holders to contact us if they need our help.

We have an arrangement with Home Affairs to support visa holders who come to us for help. Visa holders can seek our help without fear of visa cancellation, even if they’ve breached their work-related visa conditions. This arrangement is called the Assurance Protocol.

Under the Assurance Protocol, Home Affairs won’t cancel your visa if you have breached your visa conditions because of workplace exploitation, as long as:

  • you have sought advice or support from us and you are helping us with our inquiries
  • there is no other reason to cancel your visa (for example for national security, character, health or fraud reasons)
  • you have committed to following your visa conditions in the future.

Learn more about the Assurance Protocol on our Visa protections –the Assurance Protocol page.

Back to top

Know the rules for working on a visa

If you employ a visa holder or have a visa, it’s important you know the visa rules. 

Some visas have rules about how many hours someone can work (for example, international students) or what job they can do (for example, a seasonal worker).

To check visa details, visa holders can use the Home Affairs’ Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO).

If you need more information about visas, contact the Department of Home Affairs.

Back to top

Pacific Australia Labour Mobility scheme

We have tailored information for employees under the Pacific Australia Labour Mobility (PALM) scheme. Learn about workplace rights and get access to our tools on our Pacific Australia Labour Mobility scheme page.

Back to top

Getting help

To learn about getting help from us, go to our Getting help page.

We have practical steps on how to fix an issue at work, including how to ask for our help. For guidance go to Fixing a workplace problem.

If you do have a workplace issue, you can call us or tell us about it via My account.

You can also contact us anonymously to help us keep workplaces fair. You can make an anonymous report to us in your language using our translated anonymous report form in multiple languages.

Back to top